- We’ve outlined the role schools have in securing parental consent for use of NextLesson.
We acknowledge that under COPPA, schools are authorized to provide consent on behalf of parents/guardians in the educational context. Therefore, we expect schools to have a dialogue with parents about what resources their students use. If you’d like assistance in securing parental consent to use NextLesson, we have created a permission slip that you are welcome to use.
- We explain the additional steps we’re taking to protect the privacy and security of children’s personal information.
To join the NextLesson platform, students are now required to seek parent or school consent through the form of a join code. Without the join code, students will be unable to complete the signup process. As a parent or school, you are provided with join codes for your children or students within any lesson or in the Class Management tool.
- We have explained more clearly how parents and schools can review information collected about their children or students.
You can request to review the personal information that we have collected about your student or child, request deletion of that information, or request that we cease collecting additional information about your student or child by contacting firstname.lastname@example.org. For the security of your child, NextLesson will go through a process to verify your identification before releasing or deleting information.
- We have updated the information we collect from students.
We now may collect information around student performance, interests and grade level. However, we will only ever collect information necessary to provide service to you and your children/students.
- We’ve outlined in more detail the security practices we use to protect student information.
We’ve detailed the ways in which we protect personal information against unauthorized access or and disclosure, including encryption.
We have also made an update to our Terms of Service to reflect a company name change. Prior to July 14, 2015, our official company name was PacerRabbit, though we have been doing business as NextLesson for quite some time. Now we are officially NextLesson Inc.! Time to pop open the champagne!